Heating Assistance Programs

To help serve you, the staff at Autore Oil has compiled the following information to help you navigate the changes in the heating assistance program in Michigan.

Information on Assistance in Michigan for the 2020-21 year

There have been many changes made to the State of MI procedures and requirements for requesting heating assistance.

In the past we had several agencies that handled heating (MEAP) assistance such as DHS, Community Action, and Superior Watershed.

Your request now starts with DHS Office

The state has changed its procedures this year making all Assistance requests begin with the DHS offices throughout the state. You can either physically visit your county branch or log in via the internet to https://newmibridges.michigan.gov

If you do your initial application online you can select a Navigation Partner when you submit the application. The Navigation Partner can help if you if you need further help in the DHS process.

What to Do IF You Are Denied

The state is strictly enforcing assets you own which work against you receiving assistance for heat. If you are denied based on Assets or Income, you should than call 211 or go to mi211.org for additional information regarding possible help for you.

If you are denied due to lack of required payments (shortfall) or contribution copays, you can contact an Access Partner for further assistance with your case.

The Autore Oil service area Access Partners are:

Superior Watershed Partnership
Community Action
For Chippewa County: 906-632-3363
For Mackinac County: 906-643-8595
Salvation Army

You cannot work with an access partner unless you have already applied with the DHS agency.

Any of the Access Partners can help answer questions as we have been informed some clients are not receiving detailed information on how to navigate through the new process. We recommend the Superior Watershed Partnership for help with anything you need. They have been easily accessible and very helpful with our questions as well.

When you're looking for the best in propane service, call Autore: 800-643-1823

Michigan Propane Gas Associatioin logo USFCR Verified Vendor Propane Clean American Energy logo